Full Time Kennel Assistant- Intermountain Humane Society
Do you have a passion for animals? Do you enjoy working with people? Do you have some knowledge of animal behavior and handling skills?
Intermountain Humane Society & Shelter is seeking an individual that can demonstrate an ability to adequately handle cats and dogs in a safe and humane way. This person must also display excellent attention to details and be able to self-direct their work day. Must be at least 18 years old, hold a valid in state driver's license with a good driving record and pass a criminal background check.
Please contact the shelter directly for more information, (303) 838-2668. Resume may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or walked in during business hours of 11-4 p.m.,Tuesday through Sunday.
Intermountain Humane Society Job Description
Job Title: Kennel Associate
Job Status: Full time, Hourly, Non-exempt
Job Relationship: Reports to Shelter Manager or Executive Director; works with shelter volunteers; works collaboratively with Shelter Staff
Position Summary: The Kennel Associate is responsible for providing essential support for daily shelter operations including animal care and cleaning and providing oversight of shelter operations as assigned.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Performs shelter cleaning and animal care duties in accordance with established IMHS protocols to attain high standards for a safe, sanitary and comfortable environment for the animals as well as the public
• Responsible for maintaining IMHS standards for animal care and handling, and that the shelter environment is kept safe and clean during open hours each day.
• Provides professional, courteous service to shelter visitors and clients
• Monitors the health, comfort and care of shelter animals throughout each shift
• Restocks supplies as needed and informs supervisor when supplies are low; promptly reports equipment, supplies, or facilities concerns to Shelter Manager or Kennel Manager.
• Provides prompt, appropriately detailed communication to supervisor regarding shelter operational matters in order to ensure management team is kept up-to-date on happenings
• Participates in staff meetings as requested
• Other duties as assigned
• Must be at least 18 years old
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Experience working in a shelter environment and a working knowledge of animal health and behavior strongly desired
• Good animal handling skills; able to work safely with animals, disinfectants, and cleaning supplies in both indoor and outdoor environments
• Good communication and interpersonal skills; excellent attention to detail
• Good crisis management skills and the ability to make sound decisions when working independently
• Commitment to the mission and objectives of IMHS
• Valid Colorado driver’s license and good driving record
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions: Must be able to work quickly and efficiently, with a high degree of organization. Work is primarily performed in a shelter and kennel setting, and often involves sitting for up to 2 hours at a time, standing, bending, lifting, stooping, and pushing. Must be able to lift and carry at least 45 pounds without assistance, up to 75 pounds with reasonable accommodations. Must be able to safely and humanely control cats and leashed dogs up to 200 pounds. Must possess good vision, hearing, smell, and have good dexterity and reflexes, and the ability to withstand outside weather variations. Exposure to potential hazards include disinfectants, high levels of noise, slippery work surfaces, animal bites/scratches and zoonotic diseases, animal dander and waste, and entering/leaving work areas alone.
Thank you to our Annual Sponsors: